Rotary “Adopt-a-School” Program:
Bring the Healthy Schools Campaign to youth in your area!
Your Rotary Club can motivate students to eat healthy and be active! Adopt a school near you and make SOSMentor’s Healthy Schools Campaign your club’s Literacy Project.
• More than 40% of students in L.A. County are overweight or obese.
• The annual health care costs associated with obesity total $190 billion.
• If we don’t do something now, 42% of adults will be obese by 2030.
What is nutrition literacy?
• Nutrition literacy is the ability to read and interpret food labels,
understand recipes, identify healthy food options, and discuss
healthy eating. It is an essential skill that our youth need in order to
live a healthy lifestyle.
What is the Rotary “Adopt-a-School” Program?
• The “Adopt-a-School” program enables your Rotary Club to use
SOSMentor’s Healthy Schools Campaign as your club’s
• Teachers at your adopted school will teach the Healthy Schools
Campaign curriculum, which consists of six daily nutrition lessons.
• Students complete a “Students Teaching Parents” requirement and
submit posters for a school-wide “Healthy Messages Poster Contest.”
• Rotarians, teachers, and school administrators judge the poster contest.
Students with the winning posters and the classroom with the highest
participation receive prizes.
How to participate:
• Connect with a local elementary, middle, or high school that is nterested
in a nutrition literacy program.
• Judge your school’s submissions to the Healthy Messages Poster Contest
and award prizes to the winning student and class.
• Provide a $500 donation to cover materials, prizes, and books, and/or
ask a local business to sponsor the program.
What your club receives:
• Twenty (20) teacher packets that contain the Staff Resource Guide,
reproducible student worksheets, and Healthy Messages Poster Contest
flyers with “Steps for Healthy Lives”
• Nutrition literacy materials printed in English and Spanish that students
take home to complete the “Students Teaching Parents” requirement
• Certificates and prizes for poster contest winners at your school,
including movie tickets for 1st place, a sports gift card for 2nd place, and
a Jamba Juice gift card for 3rd place
• A set of books for students in the classroom with the highest
participation in the poster contest